Friday, June 27, 2008

Fake it 'till you make it.


This post is about attitude adjustment. Is your glass half empty or half full? How you present yourself is how others will see you. You have to promote yourself and talk yourself up, even if you don't believe a word of it.

Let me give you a real life example.

For the first year or so of my business, things were going pretty slow for me. People would ask me how things were going, and I'd say "Meh. I'm waiting for sales to pick up." or something to that effect. My realtor is also a good friend of mine, and he has my business card, but he had never even looked at my shop.

One day, I got blogged by a big website and my sales picked up significantly. My realtor happened to be in the area dropping off flyers, and he stopped by. He asked me how my business was doing, and I said "Great! Sales are really going crazy!" He perked up and said "Oh really? Can I come in and take a look at your stuff?"

All this time, he never even bothered to look before, and now he was totally intrigued. He ended up buying a pair of cufflinks and two pair of earrings for his wife! He also wants to bring his wife over later to look at more of my work. He said "I had no idea you did things like this!" What was different? My attitude.

No one wants to hang out with a loser. I don't for a minute think that he had been consciously avoiding checking out my website or anything, but really, why should he want to look at stuff that no one else wanted either? People only want what other people want.

Do you ever notice that when you're single and looking for a date you can never meet anybody, but the second you start seeing someone seriously, all of a sudden people are paying more attention to you? It's the same thing here.

YOU have to create the "buzz" that you and your art are desirable, popular, and very "in the moment". If you build it, they will come. Yadda yadda yadda. The bottom line is, if YOU aren't excited about your work, why should anyone else be?

3 comments:

Designs by Victoria said...

you're a font of wisdom, ma'am - I'll have to remember this when I'm feeling low

MB said...

Not all people want what other folks are getting - but those who don't want something that is unique enough they'll spend time looking for it and aren't really who you need to "advertise" to.

Attitude determines a lot of what happens.

Anonymous said...

+1. Excellent post.